The Baby Is Born With Seven Teeth

A baby became the ‘first in the world’ to be born with seven teeth this year. Prayan Sharma was whisked away to an intensive care unit in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, western India, shortly after being born on June 30. He remained there for 10 days fighting an infection – and when he eventually met his parents, nothing seemed unusual. That is until his mum, Nikita, 31, attempted to breastfeed him. It was then discovered that the boy had been born with seven fully grown teeth on his lower gums.

Dad, Harish, 31, said: ‘As soon as my son was born he was moved to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) because he had an infection so my wife wasn’t able to breastfeed him at first. ‘When he was eventually re-united with my wife and she tried to breastfeed him, she noticed something in his mouth. We were completely surprised. ‘We never knew a baby could be born with one tooth never mind seven teeth.’ Harish eventually consulted a paediatric dentist when Nikita continued to struggle to breastfeed and noticed also that the baby’s teeth had become loose.

Dr Meet Ramatri, a paediatric dentist at Child Dental Care, in Ahmedabad, said there’s no particular reason why a newborn is born with teeth. He said: ‘This is a first of its kind. It’s rare that babies are born with one tooth but never seven teeth. ‘The teeth had to be removed to avoid any risk to the baby swallowing or choking on them. ‘The procedure was done under local anaesthesia as he was too young to be given any regular anaesthesia.’

Dr Ramatri and his team conducted two operations over three days on two separate visits. In the first sitting, they removed four teeth and then removed the remaining three during a second operation. According to the National Institute of Health babies born with teeth is as rare as one if 3,000 births and are called natal teeth. It is said that malnutrition during pregnancy can be a possible risk factor, in addition to certain medical or genetic conditions. And in all cases the teeth need to be extracted in case they fall out and run a risk to the baby swallowing them.

Source Url: